Monday, May 4, 2009

My Life with a 13 Year Old

It was saturday night and there we were, me and Victor, at the Opera after a wonderful dinner. Kids are home with the babysitter, Jena who is a college student. We called home after dinner just to make sure all was okay and of course the response from the 13 year old was "sure, why wouldn't it be." So off to the opera. Just as the curtain was raised, my phone started to buzz. I did not answer. Then Victor's buzzed. Then mine buzzed again. At this point what do I do - make a whole row of people stand up so I can get out to answer and then again to let me back in? My thoughts started to run wild. With my purse flap covering the light from my phone, I sent a text to Jacob "Is all ok?" Of course, it went unanswered. I sent the same text to the babysitter. No response. In the meantime, I am missing the first 10 minutes of the opera which is in Italian with subheadings but I am too preoccupied to follow. You can imagine all of the thoughts that were going through my head. One thought was "oh, my what could be going on?" but quickly followed with "why do I pay his cell phone bill?" Then I thought, maybe if I dial his number, he will see that there is a text and respond. Finally, this worked! He sent me a text that went like this (spelling corrected and no abbreviations included here) "where is the other container of popcorn kernals? we are out and I want to cook some more. everything else is fine." Still concealing my phone under the flap of my purse and hoping the older lady next to me does not turn me into the "opera police" for violating the rules of opera behavior, I sent him a reply that made it clear to him I was not pleased. My gracious, this parenting stuff is hard but I would not trade being the mother to Jacob (13), Zachary (2 months shy of 12) and Ava (19 months today).

No comments: