Saturday, February 19, 2011

Lesson Learned - Again

This picture was sent to me by Zachary's teacher while they were on a field trip.  As soon as I opened the file and saw his happy face, my eyes filled with tears. Zachary and his classmates went on a field trip with the other students from Cope Middle School. I don't usually share things in mass emails and some things I keep close to the heart but as an educator who works with students, teachers and parents daily, I am blessed to be reminded today that these learning experiences that seem routine reach far beyond the students and teachers.

What have I learned just from Zachary's smile in the attached picture? Victor and I should/must take more "risks" so that Zachary can experience more of what is normal for a boy his age. Over the years, we have had a habit of protecting him. It is hard to explain why we wouldn't have taken him to a 3-D movie but simply stated we are in the habit of protecting him from potential anxiety that may be triggered by the sensory components of Autism. Obviously, this is not happening by the looks of the picture or if it is, he is figuring out how to manage the emotions so he can enjoy the show. Of course, I am sure he was thinking about the big piece of pizza coming his way after the movie.


I could not wait to get home to him Friday night so he could share some details of the experience with me. That wouldn't be able to happen until after the Bossier High Basketball game where I was working at the gate.  Another teacher at Cope who knows Zachary came to the game and was able to share more details with me about what he did when he returned.  She said he kept the glasses on when they went to their club time. Without the pictures and the other details to refer to, the response would have been an echo of the question I asked.  I showed him the pictures and he got a huge smile on his face and started telling me bits and pieces over the next ten minutes.  What a joy it was to listen to him five short and quick statements with that precious smile on his face.


To sum it up...Thank you to the educators who take the risks and make sacrifices to educate ALL children! As a parent, I have learned to be more like the educators and provide Zachary with as many experiences possible so that he can learn and grow!





No comments: